John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services

John Deere model 4100 has started intermittent squealing and

Customer Question

John Deere model 4100 has started intermittent squealing and jerking when in gear. Was bushhogging and tractor squealed, stopped and turned off. Driving back to garage, it would intermittently squeal and jerk...I put into lower gear and got back to garage.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 2 months ago.

good afternoon Ken my name is ***** ***** like you have a big issue on your hands but im sure we can work threw this. first off what trans do you have in this tractor?

does the squeal sound like its coming from the engine or the drive train?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the cover of the operator's manual the tractor is a John Deere Compact Utility Tractor with Gear Transmission. It's hard to say where the squeal is coming from, but when it jerks to a halt, there's a puff of whitish smoke coming out of the front.

so is the engine not running correctly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engine seems to be running fine except for when the squealing happens and the tractor bucks. When I put on the brakes, the engine continues to run and I can go a little further until it happens again.

the first thing you need to do is determine if the issue is in the drive train or the engine. without being there to hear or see there is no way for me to tell by what you are describing. the white smoke could be from excessive load from the trans or it could be a head gasket. the squealing could be an engine belt, alternator or engine failure. or it could be a bearing going bad in the transmission.

i would check your fluids and see if your engine or hydraulic oil is low to start with and maybe we can narrow it down from there

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea what to look for engine- or transmission-wise. Engine oil is good and I check the transmission fluid according to the operator's manual and it was where it should be. The squeal isn't like from a belt...more like metal fingernails on a metal chalkboard.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The tractor only has a little over 500 hours on it.

then i would GUESS that your looking at an issue in the drive train and should have a knowledgeable technician put his eyes and ears on it before more damage happens. there isnt just one clear cut repair on this im afraid and from where i sit if i gave you any suggestions i would be wasting your time. i worked with John Deere for 10 years and saw many different issues with these tractors and the PTO drive train. I'm sorry that i couldnt give you a solid answer. I hope you take my advise and get man out there to do a good diagnosis on this machine

thank you for using JA

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

again super sorry

please when you have a second rate the service so as i can get credit and stay around another day. good luck and if you want a second opinion on the diagnosis i would be more than happy to help