Mark Patrick
Mark Patrick,
Experience:  Head Mechanic at Estill Wood Products

Have a Jd 5085m tractor. When warmed up it will stall when I

Customer Question

Have a Jd 5085m tractor. When warmed up it will stall when I exert it. It will not restart until it cools down a little (2 to 3 hours). Can you advise me.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Mark Patrick replied 2 months ago.
Is your tractor throwing any codes?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How would I know it is throwing a code? Do I have to take it to the dealer to see if it is throwing a code? I see no trouble lights on the dash. Please advise. Thanks
If your tractor was throwing a code, you would have a warning light on your cluster. Hopefully your problem is relatively simple and can keep you away from the dealer. Roughly, how long can you run your tractor before it shuts off? Just to eliminate some simple things, see if you can wiggle the fan and see if it's got any play whatsoever. If it is, that is a good indication that your water pump has failed. Another step you could do, is take a temp of the head with an infrared thermometer before it's started and while it's running all the way up to the tractor shuts off. All the while we are thinking the tractor is running hot, it could be something as simple as the fuel cap vent stopping up. Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to eliminate possible causes based on little info to get your tractor back in the field.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can drive the tractor all day with no problems. The only time the tractor stalls is when it is fully warmed up and I run over a stump while I'm brush hogging and the tractor stalls or when I lift a bucket full of water from the pond and it stalls as I backup out of the pond. It will not immediately start up. But if I come back 3-4 hours later it will start and run with no problems. It appears to stall only when a load is put on the engine. Afterward I feel that if I down shifted it would not have stalled. No trouble lights flash on the dash. Thanks for your help.
Have you tried starting the tractor with a foreign fuel (starting fluid) after it died?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not tried to start the tractor with starting fluid. I am not mechanically inclined and would not trust myself doing that without the possibility of causing another problem. If starting fluid did get it to start, what would that indicate as the possible problem?
If the tractor fired up on starting fluid, it would indicate a fuel problem. Starting fluid would definitely be the best test for this particular problem and if you have a second person handy when the tractor dies, it will make things a little simpler. While one person is cranking the engine, the other person needs to fire short bursts of the fluid in the breather housing with the air filter out. The results you get from the starting fluid will help us out tremendously as far as pointing us in the right direction to effectively diagnose your tractor.