Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a Deere Lawn Tractor and would like info on how to

Customer Question

I have a John Deere Lawn Tractor and would like info on how to fix the throttle so it wont rev up and down when running. It runs well wide open but when you cut back on the throttle it will not run steady.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

model of the tractor? Does lever hold it's position? Gas or diesel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lever does hold positions, Gas engine. Model 345 John Deere 2001 330 hours on it.

Kawasaki engine, Have you replaced the spark plugs, and fuel filter, air filter clean? Are the springs on the carburetor linkage loose ? Try to take any slack out, but ry not to add tension, as more tension will raise rpm level.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Liquid cooled v-twin OHV FD611V Kawasaki was serviced full at 283 hrs. Tech. Had know idea how to fix problem. Runs great full throttle.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Starts great half way open rev up and down.

Did you see my response above?

If adjusting the springs does not help, I would run a cylinder test, loosen the spark plug wires and with engine idling, remove one spark plug wire at a time. Engine should continue to run. If it dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. With Kawasaki engine, misfire is usually a bad coil, which makes it lope when not under load.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try these things tomorrow and get back to you, they all sound better then what the John Deere tech. told me !!!! Thanks Dave

OK> Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Curtis B. I checked all springs on carb. Seem to be fine, cables for throttle and choke are tite. I pulled the wires off each spark plug engine keep running. Adjusted throttle cable seems to run somewhat better. Checking the spark plugs for gap they are set at 10m is that the right setting ?

10m is a little to wide, 8 to 9 would be my choice. .025 to .030 inch. But I doubt it will affect the surging/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will try .025 thanks. Will let you know.