Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

We have a JD Model 5420, it is 2004 with a shuttle shift

Customer Question

Hello. We have a JD Model 5420, it is 2004 with a shuttle shift transmission. The motor runs fine, PTO works well, the hydraulic 3 pt hitch works but there is no forward or reverse movement no matter what gear you are in. Can you help?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Even with the shuttle transmission, the tractor has a clutch , do any of the gears grind, with clutch is in the up position and you shift gears, If no gears grinding, the clutch is not turning the input shaft. Does clutch feel the same? When did tractor last drive? Did it quit under use? Does clutch have freeplay in the pedla linkage?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. There is no grinding with it in gear and the clutch out. The tractor was working fine (a friend was borrowing it) and it happened all of the sudden, while in use. The clutch does seem the same. It was being used just yesterday when it no longer would move. The clutch does have free play in the pedal linkage. I checked the rear end oil level and it is full.

With no gear grinding, I'm leaning toward clutch failure! You can remove top cover of the transmission to see if shafts are turning.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, I just realized I left off that the tractor has a PowrReverser Transmission. I removed the clutch pedal spring, the pedal fell to the floor and feels like it is not hooked to anything. I checked the cable, it is good and it is turning the shaft inside the transmission. But it still feels like it is doing nothing.

!! You said shuttle shift earlier. Let's look at powershift!

Looking at the linkage inside the clutch housing, the shaft or the shift collar is off. See link above. I see no option but splitting the tractor..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, we are thinking the same thing. Thank you very much, you have been very helpful.

Thanks . sorry it is not better news!