John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I have a j d 4760 and have a stering problem. Changed the

Customer Question

i have a j d 4760 and have a stering problem. Changed the hydrolic pump and seal on stering and the stering wheel is difficult to turn but when turned the wheels over correct.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 3 months ago.

good morning Peter my name is ***** ***** I will b your tech today. what is your hydraulic out put from the rear remotes?

also when you say "Changed the hydrolic pump and seal on stering" do you mean you changed the main pump in the front? the seal, was the steering coloum leaking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I changed the hydolic pump and changed the seal on the steering unit just in front of the pump

again, what is the pressure at the rear remotes?

did the steering work before you changed that seal? why was the front pump changed? I need more history on this and any info on what you have done to lead to this point

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have good hydrolic pressure at the hydrolic outlet

if you have less than 2000 psi the steering will not act correctly. just because it will lift an cylinder doesn't mean there is good pressure. have you physically stuck a pressure gauge in the outlet? can you answer some of the other questions I have asked?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The steering worked fine before. Got the pump fixed at jd. It was low on pressure. The steering worked before we changed the seal

so I would say that either you have timed the steering pinion shaft incorrecty or your pump is still low on pressure output

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pressure at 3500 psi. Can we be air locked. Do we have a blocked line.

3500!!! no you need to turn that down to 2250

its possible you have a blocked line yes. But... the fact still remains that it worked prior to your repairs

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is 4 lines going steering to center block and from center block to front steering motor Do you know anything about the oil flow and where I should start checking

did you adjust pressure to 2250?

when you replaced the seal in the steering motor did you reassemble the cap with the marks aligned and did the pinion shaft come out of the housing? both the cover and shaft are timed

were you able to adjust main pressures down?

where are we at on this?