John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

Looking for deere tech. We have a 6430 premium that is

Customer Question

Looking for john deere tech Kevin. We have a 6430 premium that is "popping" out of gear. Sometimes every few seconds and other times just occasionally. Both of the levers have to be put to neutral and back in gear in order for it to work again. Serial number 632543. Auto power quad tranny.
It is giving a 000917.17 code alot which I am sure is related. If I go to EPC 014 with the range in neutral and the other tranny in 4th the speed matches with the engine when testing. If this this sensor would momentarily quit would the tractor stop? Any ideas where to start-replace the sensor?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 4 months ago.

hello Andrew my name is ***** ***** sorry for the delayed response. can I still assist you with this issue?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sure. Haven't heard from Kevin yet so feel free.

ok I will start looking up info on this and be back to you shortly

can you recheck that code? what controller is throwing that code? EPC or TCU? I ask only because I cant find a listing for that DTC

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry should have mentioned that-it is epc (transmission speed to low) but when I go into the diagnostics epc 014 the tranny speed matches the engine. I guess its possible it loses the signal for a split second-if the sensor is bad-. Do you know if that would cause the tractor to stop and not go again until the levers were put into neutral?

no worries. still cant find that code # you listed but code 000191.17 sounds kind of like you are describing. is that the correct trouble code?

the reason that it stops id because it is sensing a issue there with ground speed in relation to engine speed. whenever the EPC see's a conflict it will default the trans to neutral. so if your watching the sensor on address 014 and it is behaving itself I would say that the issue may still be that sensor. they tend to fail when they get hot. past that you will be chasing wires to try and find one that is partially broke

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
EPC 014 says it is a tranny speed sensor. Does the computer use this for ground speed then? I am looking at a tranny picture and can't tell if the sensor is on the auto quad tranny or the range tranny. Do you know which one? It almost looks like the cab may have to be raised to change it-would that make sense?

stand by... I will look it up

looks to me as the sensor is located in the auto quad section at about 12 oclock. there are no specific instructions on how to R&R the sensor but I believe your right, it may be easiest to tip the cab. if you want to check it you can ohm between pins A & C and you should have aprox. 3300 ohms

if the sender doesn't do the trick we will need to look at forward or reverse solinoids, but I highly dought they are faulty

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I guess if it is intermittent it will test ok but I will definantly try. The tractor was driven yesterday for a few hours and didn't "pop" out once and a few days ago driving down the road it "popped" out about 10 times in 10 minutes-its going to be tough to track down I think.

yes those are the worse to try to diagnose. I would start with the speed sensor being that its the cheapest thing in the system

Expert:  John Oliver replied 3 months ago.

did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Haven't really had a chance yet as they need this tractor for gps cultivating. I may try and change the sensor in the next couple of weeks but waiting for it to act up again. Do you want to keep this thread open til I do or close it?