Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

The linkage went bad and they was the issue (2000$ later).

Customer Question

Good morning. So the linkage went bad and they was the issue (2000$ later). But I have a new problem. I ran out of gas this morning and now the new holland won't start. I've been going through the bleeding technique as best I know it and I'm not even getting fluid at the front cylinder. I traced it back and the line coming from the fuel filter isn't sending anything to the injectors. Now I don't know what is what soooo. It could just be error on my part. Need help as I don't want to bring this thing back and spend more money on it.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

TC18? The fuel comes from the tank to the filter as gravity flow. If you open the bleed screw on the filter, the fule should flow from the tank, and fill the filter. If not, the hose from the tank, to the filter my be plugged with debris from running out of fuel. If you do have fule flowing from the filter assembly. close the bleeder screw an open the bleeder at the injection pump, fuel should flow out. If you have fuel to the injection pump, loosen the three high pressure fule lines at he injector nozzles at the head, and crank engine until you have fuel squirting. Then tighten the lines and start the tractor. Now it does have the fuel shutoff solenoid, on the left end of the injector pump body, that has to open as soon as the switch is turned on. If it does not open, you get o fule to the injectors.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. So I blew the tank and I have fuel running through. The fuel is reaching the pump. The bleed screw on top is getting plenty of fuel. Injector 1 is good. Injector 2 is good. Not really seeing anything in injector three. The engine runs for about 10 secs then dies. Thoughts?

Is the fuel solenoid staying retracted? Unscrew it and see if the engine will continue to run.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Explain?

# 32 is the solenoid. unplug it, and it screws out of the housing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. So while it's running for those 15 seconds? Or unscrew it and then try to start it?

Unscrew it and see if it starts, it it does, you will need to screw it back in to kill engine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
does it have a wire connected to the front of it?

Just the wire harness on the outside.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took that off and it still does the same thing. Starts for about 10 seconds (really sluggish) and then dies.

Feel inside the solenoid hole and see if the linkage will push in and return, it is spring loaded and has to return to the open position for start.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok - I unscrewed - does the same thing... starts for about 10 secs then dies (and it sounds sluggish) -
The linkage seems to be fine on the inside

Then you still have air in the system. Or, did you replace the fuel filter? With fuel running dry, any debris in the tank was sucked up and went into the filter and outlet line.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Did you get tractor running?