Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a 1987 450a timberjack that keeps loosing break

Customer Question

I have a 1987 450a timberjack that keeps loosing break pressure and fluid. no leaks and master cylinder is fine I believe it is internal
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: when I pump up the brakes the pedal begins to get stiff then it releases pressure
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: I bleed it and filled it full of fluid and the level keeps dropping
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you are losing brake pressure then most likely the brake piston seals are leaking in the axles. Check for overfilling and try pressure testing the axles with a oil bucket pump or porta power to see if they will hold 350PSI pressure for 20 minutes. If not the brakes need to be taken apart and resealed and friction disks replaced as needed if the master cylinders test okay. Let me know