Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

Is there a special process seal steering cylinder compact

Customer Question

Is there a special process for installing seal for power steering cylinder for 3415 compact tractor. Have tried two different seals installed with hammer drove seal to bottom and both times fluid pushed seal back out when wheels were turned back and forth a couple of times any hints or specal procedures I don't know would be appericated.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** will be glad to try to help. The external seals are just dust seals to prevent contaminants from getting pulled into the cylinder. There are internal seals that actually seal the cylinders high pressure. The cylinder needs to be rebuilt and a complete seal kit installed. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand it is a dust seal that has nothing to do with it getting pushed out is there any special procedure for the correct installation process to prevent that from happening
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Is it leaking oil? Meaning is oil pressure pushing it out? If not, Take a close look at the gland where the seal goes as the bore could be worn or the gland bushing where the rod slides could be worn. Too much play between the rod and bushing will allow the rod to put tension against the seal and pop it out. If this is the case the gland bushing or gland will need to be replaced after disassembly an inspection. I agree to disagree with you that it has nothing to do with it. I have rebuilt many cylinders over the years inside and outside of the dealerships on cylinder benches. A worn gland will cause this.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

the seals are normally installed with the cylinder apart. In cases where a seal is loose fit aside from replacing the gland you can use a pointed punch and peen the metal to create burrs where the seal holds /press fits in the gland and use green loctite( bearing mount) to assist in holding the seal. This still needs the cylinder apart.