Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 + years as a mechanic
6825259

Does the gear pump need to be primed prior to operation

Customer Question

does the gear pump need to be primed prior to operation after all fluid drained and replaced?
CK30 , 2004, shuttle drive, just replaced alternate, all hydro fluid and filter
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

it does not need to be primed, but air bleed from system

Step 1- Place the rear of the mower safely onto jackstands on a level surface with engine off and parking brake set.

Step 2- Disengage transmission by placing freewheel control, located at the back of the frame, in the freewheeling position.

2a- Mowers with seperate pumps and wheel motors the freewheel is activated by turnign the bypass valves, one on each pump, two full turns.
The oil resevoir needs to be filled to the specifications listed in the owners manual before starting the purge procedure.

Step 3- Sitting in the operators seat(riders), start engine. After the engine is running, move throttle control to slow position. With motion control levers in neutral (N) position, slowly disengage clutch/brake pedal.

Step 4-Move motion control levers to full forward position and hold for five (5) seconds. Move levers to full reverse position and hold for five (5) seconds. Repeat this procedure three (3) times.

NOTE: During this procedure there may be some movement of the drive wheels, but they are not under load. The air is being removed from hydraulic drive system.

Step 5-Move motion control levers to neutral (N) position. Shutoff engine and set parking brake. Check and add oil as needed for units with an oil resevoir.

Step 6-Engage transmission by placing freewheel control into driving position, or by closing the bypass valves on the pumps.

Step 7-Sitting in the operators seat, start engine. After the engine is running, move throttle control to full speed. With motion control levers in neutral (N) position, slowly disengage clutch/brake pedal.

Step 8-Slowly move motion control levers forward, after the tractor moves approximately five (5) feet, slowly move motion control levers to reverse position.
After the mower moves approximately five (5) feet return the motion control levers to the neutral (N) position. Repeat this procedure with the motion control levers three (3) times.

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If need more info use the info button

Not Poor/Bad service