Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have jd 1020 tractor that barely moves in low range.Clutch

Customer Question

Hello, I have jd 1020 tractor that barely moves in low range.Clutch appears to b ok.what could b the matter with it.Thanks.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 10 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** you say it wont move in low range do you mean the Hi/Low shift?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello,my name Weldon the tractor will not move but will go in gear when it warms up alittle it will move alittle in low range but just barely.It was working yesterdat grading a hill and I did push in on the clutch to free wheel down the hill don't know if that had anything to do with it but that's when It started with problem had to tow it home.Thanks

oh boy. ya the free wheeling probably hurt the low clutch as its not designed to spin at high speeds. if all your hydraulics (steering and 3pt hitch) seem to work fine my bet would be on the low clutch discs. ill attach a picture so you have an idea what I speak of

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok if it s the low clutch would that make it not work in hi range also.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
also it goes in gear without gringing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I,am sorry not gringing I meant grinding
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
all the hydraulics work fine.

if you grind when trying to get into gear I would say your engine clutch has worn out

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no it doesn't grind at all when I put in gear it just doesn't go
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its a two stage clutch , and the pto clutch works fine
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi Weldon, My name is***** will be glad to help. Drain your transmission and inspect the oil, filter and suction screen for metal and debris indicating internal problems. If clean you will need to have your pressures tested to see if pressure is dropping off only in low range indicating excessive leakage in that clutch. and also if you have full pressure indicating a pump problem or excessive leakage problem if pressure is low. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

For either of these potential causes the tractor will need to be split to repair this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok I don't really know how to test pressure, but pushing in on clutch going down hill hurt the clutch or is pumps in transmission that could have been hurt, tractor ran fine until I freewheeled down hill didn't pickup much speed but didn't know this would hurt it any.with just a guess would it appear to be clutch even if I can put in all the gears without grinding .Aso I have not worked much on tractors is really a hard job to break tractor apart
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

It could have hurt the clutch packs inside the transmission and any of those mentioned depending on if there was any noises or if the clutch was reengaged at a high rolling speed anything internal could have failed. Checking for metal/debris will help isolate this. It is not something that can be pinpointed without proper diagnosis, testing, and checks to isolate the problem. The tractor splitting is a big job and I would not recommend attempting it without the proper tooling and service book on hand. The service book will also give you the pressure test procedures needed, repair procedures, schematics, etc.