Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

The shuttle shift on my 6115D will not stay in gear. I can

Customer Question

The shuttle shift on my 6115D will not stay in gear. I can start forward, it will role 20-50 feet and slip into neutral. How can I trouble-shoot this issue?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 3 months ago.

good morning Bob my name is ***** ***** are you getting for codes? do you have the operators manual? if so that will show the procedure for extracting codes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where will I find codes? Yes, I have the manual.

coded will be displayed in dash. refer to the operators manual

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Part of the challenge here is that I'm a weekend farmer. I live in the city and the tractor is 100+ miles away. When I get there cell service is poor at best. I'll not be able to text, call in or go on-line.If the answer is refer to the owners manual, that's not really very helpful and I'm very disappointed with the response. I had hoped for a more informed reply.

sorry that I am unable to diagnose for you. I will opt out so another tech can pick this up. please understand that the amount of technology in that tractor makes your issue very difficult to diagnose without a trouble code to follow. there are many possible reasons that your tractor is doing what its doing. switches, relays, controllers, speed sensors and pressure sensors all play a part in making this thing move. with a trouble code we are more likely to pin point the issue without throwing a bunch of money at it for no reason. what I was saying is that you first need to refer to your ops manual to extract those trouble codes. from there we can help you with the technical stuff that will fix the issue

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi Bob, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. I understand the tractor is not near by so I will give you some things to prepare to check when you get to your tractor and we can then follow up as needed with the results. I log in in between jobs and late evenings to respond to any followups etc. First bring some oil/filter for the transmission to perform a service and using clean drain buckets check for burnt smell, discoloration of the oil or for any metal/debris in the filter, suction screen, or oil. Use a flexible magnet at the bottom of the case through the drain plug to see if there is any metal indicating an internal failure requiring disassembly and rebuild/repair. If that is clean and no flags the next step is to check for power in and out of the shift controller to the transmission solenoids in all gear positions and if power is missing to the shift solenoids your shift controller is faulty which is a common wear item. If okay check the harness and connector pins for damage or corrosion and also do a resistance test on the solenoids if the wiring checks good to be sure they are all within the same range of one another . If one is not, replace the faulty solenoid. Having your pressures tested and confirmed they are withing specs is also recommended if the other checks do not reveal a problem as well as having Deere service advisor plugged in and having the software reprogrammed to see if your issue resolves if nothing mechanical or in the harness and shifter is found to have failed. Let me know