Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 1010 massey ferguson tractor with hydro

Customer Question

i have a 1010 massey ferguson tractor with hydro transmission. it does not move forward and backward like it should,i changed the filters and the oil and it still is the same, what am i over looking
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Was it working ok? What took place? Will tractor roll, brakes are not locked?

Tractor has a clutch, before the hydrostat, does it feel normal?

There is an inspection plate on top of the clutch housing, remove it and see if the clutch output shaft is turning the input of the hydrostat.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the tractor was ok till i hooked up a three point hitch roto tiller. i have a three point hitch mower that worked fine, and when i hooked up my tiller it started slipping or acting sluggish. it seems that the longer the tractor runs the less it wants to move. i tried hooking up this tiller before and the same thing happened,so i thought the filters were bad and changed them and this worked untill i hooked up the tiller again. i then changed the oil and the filters and still not right.

So tractor will move when cold, but when you want to use more power, the transmission hydrostat gives out.

Does it feel like clutch is slipping? Does the clutch have freepay in the pedal?

If not the clutch, the hydrostatic charge pump may not being supplying enough oil to the hydrostat.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i just checked the clutch and it has about a inch and a half free play,the tractor does not move like it used to when it is cold or has set for awhile but i can move it. i jacked up the rear end and when i engage the tranny i am able to slow down and stop the wheels from turning,even in low range. the longer it runs even at idle the easier it is to stop the tire rotation.when the tractor was operating ok it would respond to forward and reverse quickly
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is the pump mounted on the engine and is there a way to check it out

So it appears to be the hydrostat loosing pressure as it warms. Worn charging pump or worn main pump and motor, which drive the unit. The charging pump is in the front end of the hydrostat!

Hydrostat, # ***** is the charge pump. See picture link below.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is the pump for that mounts to the motor. are there any other screens or filters that should be checked. also i should have told you that the tractor sat for two years,i did start it and run it but that is all, and it was stored in my barn

That is the hydraulic pump for three point and any other hydraulic function, but not for transmission!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are the charging pump and the main pump together,if so i guess i have my work cut out for me

Charge pump can be replaced without disturbing the main pump/motor section. But at that point, you may want to go through the hydrostat!

i see qustion is still open. Please rate to close.