Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Model 5203 I have pressure at head of injector pump but

Customer Question

model 5203 I have pressure at head of injector pump but won't go any farther. back bled return line and have fuel. Is there a way to check fuel shut off operation. power to terminal on inj pump.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

How does the engine kill? parts book does not show the injection pump to have fuel shutoff solenoid. Is there two electrical terminals on the top cover of the injection pump? If there is, that is the fuel solenoid, under the cover. You would have battery voltage to it with key on. Do you have voltage? Do you feel it click when key is turned on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have voltage at terminal when key turned on.

do you feel any movement? If not the solenoid is likely bad.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
at finger touch no feeling of movement in pump

I think the solenoid is not working! The cover can be removed and the solenoid replaced without too much trouble.

See link, does it look like this? This is off another Deere. 310D

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it has a torx screw heads and a dimple in the centre.

Two electrical connections? if so, it should be like the one in the above link.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it does not look like diagram

picture? you could attach?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Took top off to check solenoid operation. When I power it up from battery it moves .

OK. Wonder if it was stuck? Look at the linkage it moves, is it moving with solenoid? If so, re-install the solenoid and see if you have fuel to start.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could it be the main shaft not turning to allow fuel to injectors. When I installed the solenoid and checked movement of lever seems to move with no problem. I'm going to reinstall and recheck for pressure to inj lines. Will let you know what happens. Thx Rolly

I doubt shaft has broken, not a common thing!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Took the solenoid out checked the operation and seems to work. It seems it might have overheated and the skin on the solenoid is cracked. Will try and source it locally as jd is overpriced. Tried to bleed after but still won't. Can build pressure both inlet and bypass build pressure so I'll try again after I find new solenoid. Will contact you again. Thx Rolly

Thanks!

Did you find the solenoid to be bad? I hope so, as the next thing is the injection pump!