Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I recently attached a used implement to my rear remote

Customer Question

I recently attached a used implement to my rear remote hydraulics on my L5740, first time I ever attached to them. Implement has a cylinder that moves a bucket or direct dump in and out. When I disconnected, there was fluid in the hoses so I suppose the rear hydraulics are working. I have a bucket and what looks like a handle to change flow from bucket to auxiliary. I cannot get the cylinder to move. The implement is from the 80's and the cylinder looks to be OEM. The hoses were not long enough, so I replaced. Implement says 3/8 OD hose, but it was 1/2 OD when I got it, so I suppose that was working. Any ideas?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Did you check the flow at the cylinder? loosen hose at the cylinder and see if you have fluid to the cylinder from the remotes, If you do, you may have a cylinder that is just bypassing fluid. Have you seen the cylinder work?

Tractor may be fine, cylinder my be the problem!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could it be rebuilt?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, have not seen it work
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is fluid in hoses and was fluid in cylinder when I unhooked old hoses to buy new. Could I have introduced air?

The air would purge itself on a double acting cylinder. I would remove hose from the cylinder, and put them in a bucket and see if your remotes send fluid to one hose in one lever position , then work lever in opposite and see if fluid comes out the other. It fluid comes from the remote, then knowing which hose is pressure in that direction, attach it to the cylinder and work the lever, if cylinder does not move and fluid comes out the open port on the cylinder, you know the cylinder is bypassing. Most cylinders can be rebuilt. Or may be best to replace it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will do, thank you, ***** ***** a feeling I have a bad cylinder as tractor has only 580 hours and wasn't used hard.