Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

We just got a used b7001 compact tractor and it won't start.

Customer Question

we just got a used b7001 compact tractor and it won't start. after running smoothly for about 1 hour, then it started to turn off, until in the end only the alternator was spinning empty. we obviously thought we ran of diesel so we followed the step by step measures to loosen the screws to let the air out. after about 20 cranks the alternator continues to spin empty and no pressure is being built in the engine. it's as if no fuel is reaching the engine. could it be that the fuel pump is damaged? we've gone through 2 battery charges by cranking repeatedly. what should we do next? thanks
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

The B7001 is a gray market tractor. So no information on the US Kubota site. But as with all Kubotas, if you loosen the fuel line at the injection pump body, do you have fuel flowing? You should not have to crank , to prime fuel up to the injection pump. It will be gravity flow, or have a fuel transfer pump that has a lever on it for priming. How does engine kill, with key or with throttle or pull cable?

If with key , it has a fuel shutoff solenoid. It may not be opening the fuel passage to the injectors. I don't understand what the alternator has to do with starting. It will turn anytime the engine is cranking, but has nothing to do with start.

Do you get any smoke from exhaust when cranking? If not, there is no fuel getting through to the cylinders. Was engine out of fuel? If so, you may have to loosen the injection high pressure lines at the cylinder head and crank until you have fuel squirting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I suspect we've been out of fuel. now the tank is full. have released the screws at the 3 cylinder heads, have repeatedly cranked (20 times) no fuel squirting out. also fuel gauge is open and fuel flowing in filter. no smoke in the exhaust. indeed no fuel is reaching the engine. I think the fuel pump is damaged? what do you think?

Did you bleed the air at the injection pump before loosing the lines at the injectors?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Curtis, I would like a final answer if possible. Just to complete, the engine kills with pull cable. we have released the engine high pressure lines without any result. no pressure seems to be building in the engine. Thanks for any other suggestions. Frank
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
bleed the air at the injection pump? no I don't think we did. how is this done?

Locate the fule line from the filter that goes to the injection pump body. it will have a bleed screw or just loosen the fuel line and let all the air out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok this I haven't tried. I think I get it. Thank a lot.

If satisfied, please rate to close and get me credit. Thanks.