Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a Kubota Z121S zero turn. If it is stopped after

Customer Question

I have a Kubota Z121S zero turn. If it is stopped after operating for approx. 30 minutes or more and then switched off it will not turn over or restart until completely cooled. I replaced the brake safety switch as the resistance seemed to vary. This did not solve the problem. Of course electrical diagrams for this mower seem to be non-exsistantant.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

When it won't start, do you get the click from the fuel solenoid if you turn key on and off? Do you hear the starter solnoid click when key is turned to start? Seems to be heat related, and there is no circuit breaker in the system, just the fuses. The solenoid or the starter both can become heat saturated and not wok when hot.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I hear a click. If I pull the Pto switch I hear that click as well. (With the key in the on position)

any click from the starter solenoid when key is turned to start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will check tomorrow afternoon after work and get an answer. Thanks for your time.
Rocky

OK> Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Curtis,
The mower threw us a curve yesterday. My wife stopped at a gate. She set everything in the park position with the engine running. When she raised up from the seat the engine died. After waiting 30 minutes it restarted.

So you still have the problem. If the starter solenoid does click, either it or the starter is being affected by the heat of the engine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you think the seat switch could be effected by heat? I didn't get to check the starter solenoid as I was not here when the fault happened.

I doubt it is a safety switch, but I would not rule it out. Just not something you see.