Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I've got a Ford Versatile 946 tractor that is putting

Customer Question

I've got a Ford Versatile 946 tractor that is putting hydraulic oil into the engine. The previous owner said that the hydraulic pump has a seal and when it goes out it will do that. I took it to a hydraulic pump place and they said that the Eaton pump housing was cracked. It was not repairable and I had to buy a new one for $700ish. A day later the engine was filling back up with hydraulic oil. Can anyone help me out with this. Also this tractor has the poorest hydraulic flow to the implements to be a big tractor. Other then these two issues it's a pretty good old tractor (1993 model).
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Thanks Mrs. Pearl
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yessir Mr. Dan
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi Glen, The hydraulic pump drive seal is the common link between the two reservoirs. If the first pump failed and put debris contaminating the system it will have to be cleaned out as it can and will cause further damage to other components. It is possible if the system is overpressurizing for some reason such as a return restriction or stuck relief valve that pressure can build and damage the new pump or blow out the seal. Check the new pump for a blown seal and problem and let me know if this is what we have going on. If so there is another problem in the system causing this to happen. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok Dan I'll remove the new hydraulic pump and beings it's under warranty send it back to see if the seal is blown again. Thanks for your help, it might be a week or two before we figure this out. The time l send the pump back to them next week and get it back. Thanks for your help. Also this tractor has the slowest hydraulic pressure to implements then any others I've ever seen. Any solutions on that issue?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

in the meantime when the pump is removed check the lines into the control valve and remove the relief valv cartidges, etc and look for damaged o rings or debris in the valves. Clean them out good and inspect for damage and damaged o rings. Replace the o rings on reassembly. sounds like you have a problem in the valves or a restriction as I mentioned.