Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I purchased a 2015 Mahindra 3550 tractor - was delivered

Customer Question

Hi - I purchased a 2015 Mahindra 3550 tractor - was delivered March 2016. I believe it had water in the tank when they first delivered it, as it had been on the lot for just under a year, and they only kept a small of fuel in the tank, due to diesel theft. Anyway, the tractor ran fine for a while, but after a while, lost power - would hardly go up a 3 degree incline - would not pull like it was supposed to. I took it in for the 1st checkup at 65 hours - they serviced the tractor, but could not explain the loss of power. The mechanic reset all of the computer warnings (blanked them out?) and the tractor ran fine - I brought it home and after about 25 more hours, the tractor lost power again. This time, the "check engine light" came on? I replaced the air filter, checked to see if there was water in the fuel filter (turned the bleeding screw on the bottom of the fuel filter), but no water was in the filter. I have scheduled the Mahindra Dealer to pick-up the tractor. The dealer says Mahindra will pay for the freight ($450.00) if they believe it is a factory defect - but if they believe it is something not covered by warranty, I will have to pay the freight and repairs. This is a new tractor - I clean the air filter after each use, fill the diesel tank after each use - and no specific instrument warning lights have come on. Any ideas?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

I would change the fuel filter and check the line from the tank, and blow back into the tank, to clear any debris getting into the line from a contaminated tank. Filter can be plugged and no water will be in the sediment trap. Most diesel power probelms are a lack of fuel to the injection pump.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Curtis - The fuel filter was changed at 65 hours - the new filter has less than 30 hours on it now - the answer given does not address why the machine, after its first service continued with loss of power? After changing the fuel filter and pressurizing the fuel line, when road tested, the tractor continued with loss of power. The very last thing the mechanic tried was resetting the computer - then and only then, was full power was restored. As mentioned, the problem has reoccurred but this time, the instrument cluster has a "check engine" light. Fuel restriction was not the solution - the "tripping" of computer warnings (with no visible specific warning lights on the instrument cluster) is the question. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is a 2015 Mahindra 3550 PST tractor, 4 cylinder diesel, 50 49 HP

I know what it is. But with the history , there may be debris in the tank, and until it gets out, and filter stays clean, you will continue to have fuel issues!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Did y find the problem? I see question is still open.