Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have a massey ferguson 5455 that won't start. If I turn

Customer Question

I have a massey ferguson 5455 that won't start. If I turn the key on and jump the starter it will start and run. It seems that the start wire (small wire on solenoid) is not getting power from the ignition switch to activate starter. The key switch is sending power out to it, but it's not getting to the starter. Is there a neutral safety switch or something like that interrupting the power going to the starter?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

If you take wire direct from the keyswitch terminal to the starter switch terminal will tractor start? There are multiple diodes in the system, but I see none identified as start. Massey could have used a relay/diode to keep the amperage from having to run through the key switch for start, but I don't see anything like that!

Did you see my response?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately the relays are not labeled and I need to eliminate them one at a time

Mark relays and their position then swap them to see if problem changes.