Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

1982 model 255 Massey Ferguson tractor. Is there some lever

Customer Question

1982 model 255 Massey Ferguson tractor. Is there some lever I engaged by accident that would stop my tractor from moving I can push in the clutch and put it in gear and it won't move,this happened all of a sudden after I took off the bus hog and put on box grater the clutch was working perfect no slipping nothing,is there a lever for towing or something that would stop the tranny from engaging when pulling tractor.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

no, tractor has no disconnect! Are the gears moving in the transmission? if you change gears without pushing in clutch, do the gears grind? Does clutch feel any different?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No the gears aren't grinding and the clutch feels the same, I had just cut about an acre of grass and changed implements it wouldn't move after implement change

Seems odd that clutch would just stop working, but if the gears are not turning, the input shaft that is driven by the clutch spline can be stripped out! Do you see any shafts turning in transmission with cover off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All I checked for was that the tractor was actually shifting so all I seen was the gears moving front to back with the shifter
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there any adjustments for the clutch that I can try?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Without breaking the tractor in 2

Check the transmission shafts, and if you see the input shaft turning, clutch is ok, If not clutch is out. If not the clutch you may have something going on with the rear end or a broken axle shaft, but the gears would be grinding if you tried to shift with engine running and clutch not pushed in.

Do you have free travel in the clutch linkage? That is the only adjustment. If it has free travel, it should engage.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The sounds so much like a clutch going bad but I've never had one go out without slipping or grinding the gears first.and why would the pro still engage and disengage with a bad clutch
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pto

Pto still works?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the gears aren't grinding when I engage it

Tractor has an axle lock. Could you have had it in lock position?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That was my thought but I don't know we're it's located on this tractor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is the axle loc to make it pull with both back wheels sort of like posi traction

Yes, axle lock acts as positrack. Would be a pedal or lever on the deck close to the rear axle. If it has been running in axle lock, and now is out, you can have a broken axle shaft, Can you raise the rear of the tractor and turn one wheel, manually, the other wheel should turn in the opposite direction. If not, you have axle broken or differential problem.

with a broken axle, putting it in axle lock, would let it drive on the one good axle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All of this ocoured when I put on the box grater
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm going to have to go get a bigger jack today to lift it this is a very large tractor

Axle lock shows to be a pedal on the right side of the tractor, attached to the rear housing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that would snap the input shaft

I have to run, dr appointment, be back in about two hours!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I thank you for your. Time I'll locate the loc petal and if it's not engaged I'll lift it and try what you say and turn the wheels,thanks for the info.

Back home, let me know what you find!

I see question is still open. Did you find problem?