Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

JD6400 hydraulic oil overheating, Generally takes about an

Customer Question

JD6400 hydraulic oil overheating
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Generally takes about an hour of running a discbine in hot weather. Once it overheats have to shut down for a while but then overheats again in 5-10 minutes. Oil cooler radiator is cold. One line to it is hot and other is cold. Is there a temperature relief valve or oil bypass valve that could be stuck closed?
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Running JD hydraulic oil and filters which were all changed to see if it would correct problem. Cleaned screen (not too bad). A mechanic had checked it for me and said their was flow through the cooler/radiator but I question that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 8 months ago.

GOOD afternoon my name is ***** ***** can look up some info for you and ill be right back to you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok

what transmission do you have?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Has a right hand reverser. 4 automatic gears and 4 manual ranges.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I check back with you later?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My guess is either the cooler/radiator is plugged or the pump is not pumping (but mechanic said their was correct flow through cooler/radiator. The other possibility is there must be a bypass valve so oil is not routed through the cooler in winter, so maybe that valve is stuck shut. Where is that valve located? Is it part of the pump or is it an electrical solinoid? Hard to find much in the JD parts or repair manual on it.

do you have an email?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.