Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My Deere tractor (955 utility diesel) stalled out on me and

Customer Question

My John Deere tractor (955 utility diesel) stalled out on me and now it won't even turn over
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Could battery be dead? Do you have a voltmeter to check voltage? Has to be at least 12.5 volts. I assume the engine has not locked up! Have you tried to turn engine manually?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I put jumper cables to it and even put the cable to the starter with no luck. I can turn the fan manually

Deere uses a fusible link in the wires at the starter. usually on the ground side. If it blows, you loose all electrical. It looks like a fuse soldered in a wire, and has to be checked for continuity with ohm meter, or jump around it with jumper. I don't find it illustrated in the parts book, but it is shown as a service part. But starter should have worked if you grounded the cable to the starter housing and jumped to the starter. ???

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Going to the starter directly has worked before. I'll look for an in line fuse
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just went over both connections and there is not a fuse in the line. Everything works as far as the headlights and the dash lights. There is a very light click that comes from the ignition when I turn it

Do you have voltmeter? What is voltage at the battery connection at starter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll check
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've checked and both the battery and starter connection are around 12.5. I checked at the starter with the key on and off

I'm wondering why it died, as a diesel should continue to run, and your engine kill solenoid is only used when you turn key off? And no action from starter.? Pto is off?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The tractor was laboring a little on soft sand when this happened. The PTO wasn't engaged when I started working and I didn't turn it on when I was using it. This is a tractor that was recently donated to us so I'm not too familiar with it. I moved the levers that I think were the right ones to make sure the PTO was disengaged, but there's a lot of old wear under there. Is there a way to disconnect it entirely in case that's the problem?

Hold key in start position, and move the levers for pto and transmission to see if the switches may be causing no start.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried that. It has the two pedals on the floor as opposed to a shift lever. I'll try it again and let you know

Hydrostat transmision. It should also have a range shift, that would need to be in neutral.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you mean that the pedals have to be matched so that it isn't more in one direction that the other? I haven't tried that yet

They have to be in neutral position.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. I'll let you know

I see question still open, did you find problem? Please rate to close.