Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

The starter won't spin the engine through its compression

Customer Question

The starter won't spin the engine through its compression stroke on our L100 John Deere lawn tractor.
Even a boosted new Kirkland battery cannot spin the engine through its compression stroke.
Recently it was transported to a John Deere repair shop because it did not start. Here was the diagnosis and repair report on the bill.
"Diagnosis found that the ground cable corroded and not making a good connection where it attaches to the frame. Removed the ground cable and cleaned the rust-corrosion from the frame and cable and reassembled it. Motor will turn over now but it will not start. Diagnosis found it has no spark. Plug is good. Remove engine shroud and test coil armature. Found armature is defective. Ordered and installed new coil-armature. Engine turns over, starts and runs properly. "
It worked for about three days but then will not start.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon Doris my name is ***** ***** I spent 10 years in a deere dealership so maybe I can give yo some inside info.

first off this should be brought up to the service department so they have a chance to make it right with you. its hard to say without being there with the mower if they missed something on there repair or you have another issue they missed. either way it needs to be there problem

my guess is that you need a valve adjustment. these machines were noted for having the valves adjusted to tight and it caused issues starting for the same reason you stated....they cant power threw the compression stroke. my suggestion again woul be to contact them and suggest they pay closer attention to that aspect of the repair

Doris I hope this helps you out. Have a great weekend and thank you for using JA

happy weekend Doris! have you had any luck with Deere?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

I see where it says you requested a new professional? I would be glad to help. This being the single cylinder Briggs engine, it has an internal compression release. If his release breaks, the compression becomes too high for the starter to turn the engine through the compression cycle. It is a spring loaded weight on the back of the camshaft gear and the only way to fix it, is to replace the camshaft! See camshaft link below.