Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

I have a JD 336 small square baler that I am trying to use

Customer Question

I have a JD 336 small square baler that I am trying to use to get my hay done, but the right knotter (from the back) will not keep the string in the twin holder. The twine keeps pulling out before a knot is tied. If I loosen it any more I don't think the knot will stay tied. This has been a problem today as well. The knot gets tied and cut then when the bale move back in chute, stretching the twine tight, the knots pull apart. Some times they hold long enough for the bale to be dropped on the ground but pull apart when I go to pick up the bale. I did not have any trouble last year. The baler is always in the shed. Please help me-my hay is turning to straw as we speak. Steve
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hi Steve, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

I just logged in and found your question but fear it may be past time to help today. There are a couple of things that can cause the problem you describe. If the knot looks like it was tied properly but pulls apart then it may be bill hook tension or wiper arm scraper adjustment. If the knot looks good but the tails are too short then that would generally indicate that the bill hook is not holding the tails tight enough to snug the know down when it is pulled off. This is an easy adjustment as you increase the bill hook tension by tightening the bill hook tension by turning the nut with the spring under it clockwise. I would recommend making the adjustment in half turn increments as excessive bill hook tension can cause other issues. Also inspect your bill hook for wear in the center, if the wear becomes too great it my be difficult for the bill hook to hold the twine during the knotting process.

Next check your wiper arm adjustment, simply remove the bolt at the rear knotter anchor and push the knotter up while observing the wiper arm. The wiper arm scraper should actually lightly scrape across the bottom of the bill hook. If the wiper arm is too loose the scraper plate on the arm can be loosened and adjusted.

If your still having trouble following the adjustments please let me know along with a description of the knot before the bale expands and what it looks like after.

Thanks,

Kevin