Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have a Deer lawn tractor with a 17.5 hp Kohler motor that

Customer Question

I have a John Deer lawn tractor with a 17.5 hp Kohler motor that makes a knocking or loud vibrating noise when I first start and when I turn it off,but runs smooth.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Model number? Does it have electric clutch for the blade engagement? Can you make it do it, or is it random? Any unusual smoke from the exhaust on first startup? Have you removed the deck belt from the drive on the engine and check for the noise? Te electric clutch bearing may be dry and is failing. With the clutch off, and engine off. the electric clutch should spin freely wit no noise from the bearing.