Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

We have a 7220 with 4 range n togle shift ranges work shift

Customer Question

hi there, we have a 7220 with 4 range n togle shift ranges work shift togle dont ,there are 2 seloniods which 1 is the shift selonniod or do you have a way of testing them
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

The power quad transmission is controlled by the EPC controller. The best way of diagnosing problems with the power quad shifting is by the trouble code for the fault. You can OHM test the solenoids to verify they are not shorted or open. The solenoids should be between 10 and 20 ohms. Because the controller is able to see an open circuit you cannot test for voltage. Once the controller seems an open or a short in the solenoid circuit it shuts off power.

I would recommend retrieving the active fault code using the following steps.

1. Turn the key to the run position.
  2. Pull the roll mode paddle switch down until the display changes to "Diagnostics" (the roll mode switch is the short paddle just below the wiper switch).
  3. Use the turn signal switch as if making a right turn until "EPC" is displayed.
  4. Turn the red warning lamp switch on and back off to enter the controller.
  5. Use the turn signal switch as if making a right turn to EPC address 001 which should display "Code".
  6. Turn the warning lamp switch on and back off to enter address 001.
  7. Use the turn signal switch as if making a right turn to scroll through all the stored fault codes until "Clr" is displayed.
  8. Turn the warning lamps on and back off go clear all the stored EPC codes.
  9. Turn the key off and then start the tractor, operate the tractor until the fault occurs.
  10. Repeat steps one though 7 and let me know what code or codes return.

The code should steer is directly towards the fault preventing the power quad to shift properly.

Let me know when you get time.

Thanks,

Kevin