Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

Originally the power steering did not work on a 135 3

Customer Question

Originally the power steering did not work on a 135 3 cylinder gas tractor.
First I replaced the power steering pump and then it would steer but it pumping fluid out of the breather at the top of rack box. I then replaced the seal at the top of the power assist cylinder. When first filled and restarted everything seemed to be working fine. This lasted about 30 minutes. It started pumping fluid out of the vent again and the power steering stopped working even with fluid. I did notice the pump got real hot real fast, too hot to touch. Any help will be appreciated!
Lester Richards
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Pump gets hot usually from being loaded fully and going over relief valve setting. I suspect the problem is with the poppets in the power steering valve, check the arrangement of the poppets and springs. See the picture link.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What part number on the diagram. How is the fluid getting into the actual gear box? Could this have caused the seal in pump assist cylinder to have failed again

# ***** in diagram. The shaft seal is what leaks and lets the oil into the gear section.