Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have a 1715 tractor the pto kicks out and you have to push

Customer Question

I have a 1715 tractor the pto kicks out and you have to push the clutch in to get it to restart it was real regular on the roto tiller so I quit using it now it's doing the same thing on the mower it does not have a live pto Any idea what needs to be repaired ? thanks
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Does the pto engage lever stay engaged? The pto just stops moving at the shaft? With engine off, engage the pto, and see if the output shaft can be turned with a pipe wrench. The shaft should be capable of turning the engine! If the shaft turns, and engine does not, the pto clutch, on the flywheel is bad and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the pto lever stays engaged and the engine does turn over with a pipe wrench. It doesn't act like a slipping clutch when it quits it stopped totally and will remain off until you cycle the clutch and it starts again it acts like its resetting something mechanically

Do you have freeplay in the clutch pedal linkage? needs to be around 3/4 inch freeplay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is good as well

I think to fix it you you will need to replace the clutch disc on the flywheel! The in and out lever is not causing it and cycling the clutch makes it work again for a while..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wouldn't their be signs of slipping?

Typically there would be , but not every time.