Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

M5700, 4wd, no cab. Starting problem. Key on, glow light

Customer Question

M5700, 4wd, no cab. Starting problem.
Key on, glow light appears. Turn key to start. Hear 1 click with no starter activation. Interestingly, no lights, flasher, etc. works. Minutes later, lights work. All fuses in fuse confirmed good. Diagnosis? Remedy?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hi Elmer, My name is***** are several things that can cause these symptoms. First lets confirm the battery tests good with a digital tester for bad cells etc. Also check all the battery to starter connections and grounds as poor connections and low voltage are the most common cause of this. If that is okay test all your fuses and relays and verify 12V at the starter solenoid with the key switch in the cranking position to confirm a good key switch. If there is power there but wont crank you have a starter and solenoid problem. Let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
12+ at battery. Same at main starter connection. Pulled slip on connection from starter. No power. Now left rear turn/hazard light illumininated and will not turn off. Depress hazard button, right side blinks. Left side frozen On. Turn off. Right side stops. Left side remains on. Starter issue affecting lights? Hmmm
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the update. Test for power in and out of the key switch for a possible shorted key switch and if okay check all your grounds as a poor ground will cause power to go to other places to find the path of least resistance causing this type of problem. Check the turn and hazard switch and your directional control switches, fuses and relays. If we need to get info this deeper the schematics will be needed and I found a PDF downloadable manual for under 25 with full schematics, repair and troubleshooting info. Click this link.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi Elmer, Did you get this resolved? If so please take a moment to rate my service to close this out. Pleasure to help.