Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

Trying to change the hydraulic filters on a 1968 ford 4000

Customer Question

Trying to change the hydraulic filters on a 1968 ford 4000 tractor. Got the one closest to the top and hydraulic pump. The other filter looks hopelessly buried in the bottom. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Just bought this tractor and hydraulics wasn't working. Had lots of water and sludge when we tore it down.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Filter in the bottom is a basic strainer. It is accessed either by removing the three point housing, or through the side of the transmission, opposite the side mounted hydraulic pump, if it has the side mounted pump. If no side mounted pump, there is blank off plate that can be removed to access it. But you may just want to flush it with diesel or kerosene and leave it alone!