Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a 70hp fiat agri tractor which has appeared to have

Customer Question

I have a 70hp fiat agri tractor which has appeared to have broken a piston rod. It had been sitting for month outside and when started up after about 20 seconds of running started making a terrible clanging knocking noise, I cut the engine straight away. This tractor even though quite rough would be around $20,000 Australian dollars to replace, is it worth having repaired? Will it need a replacement engine? Phil.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hi Phil my name is***** would be entirely up to you if the tractor is worth repairing. Depending on the condition of the crankshaft and block would determine if there would be any extensive machine work needed and another factor to consider is if you are paying a chop or doing the work yourself. I would proce both the reman engine and a rebuild after disassembly to see if the block needs machining and the head machine work needed. Let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just assuming the worse and the block etc would need machining/ rebuild what would be a ball park cost ( for a workshop)
Phil
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

I would have to say you could be into this for 10-12 grand hiring a shop. Depending on the extent of what it needs and who is doing the work it could be less.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hi Phil, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my service as that is how the site credits the experts for their time helping on the site.