Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a John Deere 5045d diesel, when i 1st start tractor

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 5045d diesel, when i 1st start tractor its like i have a lot of extra fuel, it smokes spits and sputers about 30 to 60 sec then once it clears runs great, my thought was something was not shutting off fuel off so when done using i shut manual fuel valve, next day open valve, start engine does same thing, loades for approx 60 sec, then runs great. tractor has 1650 hrs. Bernie
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bernie, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. It sounds like you likely have an injector that is leaking into the cylinder and then burning off once the engine is running. Using a temp gun your can check the temps at the exhaust ports to locate a cold cylinder and replave that injector unless you prefer to do the complete set which is recommended. Let me know