Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have a 2001 Massey Ferguson 4243 2WD, the PTO want

Customer Question

Hello! I have a 2001 Massey Ferguson 4243 2WD, the PTO want shut off. VIN #ABCA12JHXFH40317. I have gone as far as to pull the top off of the rear diff and pear down inside to see if something is broken. I'm not sure I understand how it works, my service and parts manual don't really match what appears to be inside! maybe I've got other issues. So not real sure where to go from hear!
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
You have a side cover with the operating lever for the pto, have you had it off? The actual clutch is engaged hydraulically to turn the shaft. With tractor off, can you rotate the shaft using a pipe wrench? If not, the pto clutch has failed and is locked up , so it can not release. The side cover has the hydraulic tube that goes to the clutch pack.
Agco owns Massey and has an on line parts manual that you can access. Go to Agco parts. go to Guest books, and input the 4243 model, Massey, and look at the pto parts. Here is link.