Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin,
Experience:  Field Technician at Thompson Tractor Company
29889544

I have an 24vdc electric mower and the switch failed - i am

Customer Question

I have an 24vdc electric mower and the switch failed - i am trying to wire the new replacement switch. I have the mfg wiring spec . I am trying to attach the last wire (white) to the negative terminal (as per instructions) and when I try to attach it - it sparks, and I am not sure how to handle it - freakes me out a bit - what's going on? Why the big spark?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 1 year ago.
Is the white wire connecting to the battery or the switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the wiring diagram and battery photo - i am attaching the white wire to the battery last, but I am not sure what the wiring sequence should be - i hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I touch the white wire to the battery positive it sparks at me....also here is a photo of the new switch I just purchased to replace the failed switch
It should make a little spark you can disconnect the batteries and connect the switch and it should not spark after batteries are reconnected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you be more specific about your comment "you can disconnect the batteries" - how do I do that? What is the procedure?
I would disconnect the negative post on the battery there is no procedure for removing the negative post then connect the white wire to the negative post then reconnect the post to the battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - I just tried that - when I tried reconnecting the neg post to the battery there was so much spark and smoke that it partially melted the connector....? I am really confused, when the neg post begins to arc / spark should I continue to screw the neg post to the battery?
Is the mower switch off when you are connecting the negative terminal? It should spark but only a little make sure all switch switches are off before you connect to the negative terminal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you a photo of the switch - I have to pull up on the yellow switch handle to start the mower (safety lever) so I presume the switch is in the off position as shown in the photo.
What did it do when you took the old switch off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had no problem taking the old switch off - the switch was dead - i wonder if the switch is wired backwards?
I would check that it should not arc and smoke that much. Make sure all the wires are connected properly.
Any update yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought a new mower - eGo - a much better product / very well designed
Ok let me know if you need anymore help and please rate me when you get a chance