Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I own a 2008 John Deere tractor LA165 and am having

Customer Question

Hello. I own a 2008 John Deere tractor LA165 and am having some drive train issues with it. After using it for an hour it does not want to climb even small hills and then it just wont move after a while after that. If I let the Tractor cool down for a hour or so, I can mow again but only for a short time and back to the same issue as before.I removed the tranny drained the fluid and replaced the fluid in tranny . There were NO metal shavings in the tranny fluid or any chipped teeth either . Last year I replaced the drive train belt that runs between the motor and the tranny and the problem still existed. Any ideas on what it may be wrong with it? Thank you for your help. james
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Is the belt tight if you feel the belt with the engine off? It should be tight as long as the pedal is up. It should not slip on the pulleys. if belt is tight, the transmission has to be slipping.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No...the belt only tightens when I step on the gas pedal. The belt slides easily when there is no pressure on it from the gas pedal. Could it be the pulley on top of the tranny and the one on the sheave coming off the bottom of the motor ?
I've heard storys where the pulleys wear, and the belt goes too deep in thegroove and does not grasp the sides of the pulley but I personally have never seen it. It lets belt slip because the side of the pulley is the larger surface and it misses it.