Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My 2009 bx1860 stopped PTOing. It was all of a sudden. Not

Customer Question

My 2009 bx1860 stopped PTOing. It was all of a sudden. Not having a mechanic within 70 miles, I 'fixed' it myself. I figured ''safety switch''. Now the safety switch located on the inside of the roadside rear tire is in pieces. I had to take the tire off to get to the switch, and then I broke the little guy. Anyway, the PTO doesn't work. I will replace the safety switcg, but...
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
but ? Switch just pushes through bracket , which holds it in place.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I didn't ask that. It is my PTO that doesn't work. It just quit. I was mowing with a rear PTO. I turned it off, went for some water, came back, fired up the tractor and the PTO would ot work. Forget about the switch. I don't know why I mentioned it. It is my PTO that is not working.
Rear pto? Does the shifter for the pto lock in? It should have a detent to hold it in place. With engine off,can you turn the pto shaft? It has internal brake that should keep it from turning.
Pto has two levers one for front/rear and the other to put it in gear. You have both in correct position?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have pics i'll send. I've got to figure this program out first
OK> can you turn the pto shaft with engine off?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
With the levers in the correct position the rear shaft does not turn. When the levers are not in that position, the rear shaft spins freely.
OK< that sounds right. So you get no pto shaft turning when you have pto in gear?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
correct.
Did it quit under use or was working ok, till you turned it off? Do you feel the gears mesh?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took a break from mowing and when I returned I started the engine and then engaged the mower with no luck. No gear meshing. Just wouldn't go.
Could lever be loose on the shaft going into the transmission?
shift fork
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The left rear tire is off the machine.The levers seem to be tight, except I have trouble disengagng the lever that has only two positions. The lever that selects which takeoff to use seems to be fine.
The two position lever is the actual engagement, to turn on the pto. it also directs fluid to the pto clutch pack, to engage the clutch and release the pto brake. The # ***** lever has a passage in it, that has to send the pressure to the pto clutch. That is what the plug in the end of the shaft plugs. You can take clutch pressure here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That lever is now frozen. It will bend before it will move.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
with or without the engine running.
To go deeper into the transmission it has to be disassembled. Not something for the average user!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have decided that I must take the thing to a mechanic. If I were you I would expunge this attempt from the files so I don't have to rate you. All you did for me was to confirm my diagnosis that it's broke.
I can opt out. I do know where you are coming from, I had a BX2660 in pieces for a bad pto clutch. Not an easy job and was not an easy diagnosis. Good luck with it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. The ony problem now tho is the closest place that works on them is 70+ miles east. Oh well...