Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have John Deere 6410. Powerquad with electric reverser

Customer Question

I have John Deere 6410. Powerquad with electric reverser (older style with round lever). When I first start tractor and move reverser lever forward the tractor will engage in gear and move forward for however long I leave in forward position. When I pull lever to nuetral position the tractor continues under power moving forward for a few seconds before it will disengage into nuetral. and then will not reengage into forward or reverse. If I don't move reverser lever into forward position right away after i start the tractor then it will not engage into gear at all. And either way it will not engage into reverse no matter what.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. First check the filter and suction screen for metal/debris indicating internal problems and the oil condition for discoloration or burnt smell or milkiness indicating water. If ok the next step is to get a set of gauges on it to check the pressures and see if you might have a clutch leaking internally or other excessive internal leakage problems or pump problems. Let me know
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I checked the pressure under the trans. both system and lube labeled fittings gave me a reading of 0 pressure. Could that be from a completely plugged hydraulic filter?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
More than likely a failed pump if 0 but a plugged suction screen will restrict oil to the pump and ultimately result in pump failure. Check the screen first but you will likely be replacing the pump.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would that be the internal trans pump?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
yes that is correct
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there something that could cause the pump to go bad? I just replaced that pump a month ago. When it had a problem then the tractor would move at all. And the gear in the pump was in pieces.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Check to see if the suction screen is allowing contamination to get to the pump. If the pump has failed again, see if the housing is scored or if this pump did the same thing. The screen or suction line might be allowing contamination/trash into the pump
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
If there is or were to be pump pressure but is dropping off in gear, that would be a clutch pack issue leaking or other internal leakage.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just remembered this too. before when the pump failed the pto would not work and the pto does work right now with this problem. Could the leak issues be the enable, forward, or reverse valve assemblies that the solenoid coils are on?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
thanks for the update. it could be in the control valve but also in the clutches etc. Would depend on what the pressure checks reveal to isolate where the pressure is lost. Sounds like the pressure is non existent right at the pump then it point to pump if there are no leaks after the pump causing the drop off in pressure.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Check the o rings on the solenoids for damage and for debris as well.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
after running the tractor again for a few minutes it wouldn't move at all and the pto wouldn't work. So I pulled the oil pump since that was the problem before. First when I drained the oil and pulled the suction screen there was a small spring looking piece and a tiny ball bearing, only a couple mm diameter, and some tiny metal shavings that I assume were from the oil pump because when I took that apart it was broken the same way as before when I had to replace it a month ago. The gears in the pump were in pieces exactly as last time. They look like they jam up. Last time I replaced the entire pump.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like either you have excessive pressure building up in the circuit or contamination failure of these pumps or another mechanical issue causing them to fail prematurely. You will not be able to tell as you know until you get it apart and do a thorough inspection after disassembly. Let me know
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced the entire trans pump. The two gears inside it were in pieces. after reassembly the tractor is back to where it was before. it will engage right away then after shifting into neutral it continues a second then stops and won't move again. system oil pressure reads about 2 psi and lube pressure is 0.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also could the tiny spring I found in the rear oil screen be from the control valve? and my problem could be from in there causing lack of oil pressure?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the update. Sound like excessive internal leakage if the suction of the pump is picking up oil. could be in the clutches, o ring, or the control valve. Sounds like at the very minimum, a rebearing/reseal on the trans and any clutches and other hard parts needed after inspection.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could it be the cover where the pump mounts on the inside if it was gouged by the broken pieces of the pump. I noticed some grooves scratched into it.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.
that is likely part of your problem but it sounds like it might be a bit deeper than that from what you are describing.