Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

2005 317 skidder 2.4 powertech no start. need help with di

Customer Question

2005 317 skidder 2.4 powertech no start. need help with diagnostics
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will help you with is what you are describing is the injection pump has failed you have fuel pressure , the injector are cam driventhe rack in the pump is worn out I hope this helped you Hi If this helped you Please remember to rate my answer 3 or more starsIf more info is needed, use the reply buttonNOT THE POOR/BAD SERVICE
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there is no injection pump. this engine uses unit injectors. if one goes bad the others will still work.
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
Hi Yes I used the term inj pump which is the rack it is # ***** in the Pic remember that they are cam driven
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
when the aneroid is removed you can view the action of the rack (fuel control rail) and it is doing as it should. the machine was running fine then dropped to near idle rpm and died in matter of 5 to 10 seconds. what part of the rack will break to cause this. viewing the control on the front end, the rack slides as it should.
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for that if you see that rack moving . and sure the only thing left is the cam wore or more likely is the Cam gear broke , came loose and not driving the injectors it is # ***** in pic I hope this helped you Hi If this helped you Please remember to rate my answer 3 or more starsIf more info is needed, use the reply buttonNOT THE POOR/BAD SERVICE
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it runs on either. if cam was broke it wouldnt run. with the aneroid removed the lifters for the rear cylinder are visible. the cam is spinning. i need help from someone with experience on these motors not general suggestions. not trying to be rude just need specific help. i cant get a deere tech here for two weeks. its planting season. i am cat and cummins certified and have checked everything that i know to.
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
Hi I am not talking about the engine cam shaft the injector cam shaft I will opt-out if you wish
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
only one cam, three lobes per cyl.
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
HI I will do as you request and opt out put back to the board for another expertand NO ,you are not rude, just want to make sure sorry I could not help you Wayne
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
HI Your welcome I tried Wayne
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
You have no fuel to the injector rail. Check the fuel supply where it enters the head, I think there will be no fuel. Do yu have fuel to the transfer pump and from transfer pump to the head?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have bypassed the mechanical pump on the motor with an electric unit and currently have the suction and return lines ran to separate supply tank. Making 7-8 psi at inlet fitting.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
With good return flow to tank
You have fuel coming through the return? Fuel rack in run position, and no smoke from exhaust? And injectors are being pushed by the rocker arms?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. I don't have much experience on this engine but what I can see, it doesn't make sense. Is the fuel rack one piece or is there a spring loaded section that allows the aneroid to overcome the governor?
The fuel rack has a no fuel position, it is spring loaded to off. Can you move rack manually, and does it spring back when released? Hold it in open position and see if engine will start. No smoke from exhaust means there is no fuel being injected.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This rack is spring loaded to full fuel. Shut off solenoid pushes against the spring shut off fuel. If looking from timing cover end the rack is pushed against the block to no fuel. Solenoid lever releases the rack and it comes out toward the front of the motor. While cranking I can move the rack in and out and no difference is heard. Will start right up with a shot of either.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Maybe that's my problem. Which way should the rack want to go.
I don't have one here to look at, but seems to me the rack is spring loaded to off! That way if there is a problem, the engine does not go to full fuel and runs away!
If you move the rack manually and it does not fire, either there is no fuel in the head, the injectors are not being pushed or the fuel is bad!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's why I wonder if the rack is one or two pieces.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Maybe the internal section isn't moving.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The end of the rack affected by the shut off solenoid is definitely full fuel.
Rack is one piece, You have rocker cover off I assume.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not yet. But I can see the valve train movement with the aneroid off. The rocker cover is coming off after work and if no answers there the timing cover after that. Just got the coolers and rad out of the way last night.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I send you a message later when I have the top end off? Sounds like you have good knowledge of this motor.
I know how a unit injector works!
I should be here all evening, up till about 10:00