Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics

I have a 1995 John Deere 7200 and the lift arms won't go d

Customer Question

I have a 1995 John Deere 7200 and the lift arms won't go down.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question. The problem you are experiencing is a common one on John Deere 7000 series tractors. Since the hitch utilizes one way cylinders it relies on gravity and the weight of the quick hitch to push the oil back out of the cylinders and lower the hitch. This means that it takes very very little binding and the hitch simply won't go down. There are two common places for the hitch to bind up. The most common is actually the cylinders themselves. Moisture leaks past the dust seal on top of the cylinder and gets behind the fiber guide just below it in the barrel. The moisture then causes the barrel to rust behind the fiber guide which in turn swells and makes the fiber guide clamp tight around the cylinder rod. The fix is disassemble the cylinders and wire wheel the barrel behind the wear guide, new seals should be installed at the same time. The other popular tight spot is the upper pivot shaft that the upper arms attach to. Early 7000 series tractors did not have grease zerks on the upper pivot. If the hitch doesn't get used much the bushings will get tight on the shaft. Simply spray lube all around the upper shaft at the pivots and push the hitch down with a loader so that a heavy implement can be attached. Then work the hitch up and down while continuing to lube the hitch and it will typically free up. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.Thanks,Kevin
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will try to lube and take apart the cylinders tommorrow. Is there any sensors to check?
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
No sensors to worry about. If the hitch position sensor was causing the problem you would be getting a flashing hitch lamp on the dash. The hitch should still operate even with out a working hitch position sensor and draft sensor although with limited function. Keep me posted, Thanks.Kevin