Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I am having trouble selecting "" gear on range gear stick.

Customer Question

I am having trouble selecting "B" gear on range gear stick. It won't engage and crunches the gears This is a Massey 3070
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. First check your clutch adjustment and for excessive wear. If ok check for metal/debris in the transmission indicating potential internal problems occurring causing you shifting troubles. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The clutch seems to have the right free travel. I have drained the transmission oil and the oil seems ok. I have also removed the selector cover from side of gearbox to check. Can select Lower gear in range box. Won't select higher gear, only crunches.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the update Chris. Click on this link for some technical information and check all your linkage that none of the shift yokes are loose on the shaft or any linkage has become disconnected or out of adjustment.Technical info
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for this information, I am going to check the linkages with this info. I will get back to you as soon as possible
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Pleasure to help Chris.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have acquired a workshop manual.
Have you heard of a problem with the A,B range gears seizing on the layshaft
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Hi Chris, I have not personally experienced that problem but I am sure it is possible for that type of failure but would likely have to be ran very low on oil to provide a loss of lubrication.