Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

1967 jd 4020 with powershift, will not go into reverse, all forward ge

Customer Question

1967 jd 4020 with powershift, will not go into reverse, all forward gears work and park position works. will not budge into reverse range
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Hi Larry, My name is***** will be glad to help Check the oil condition for discoloration or burnt smell as well as for signs of metal/debris indicating an internal problem. Check the suction screen/filter for signs of metal/debris as well. If ok I recommend checking your pressures for a possible failed clutch pack for reverse. If the pressure drops off in reverse but is in specs in forward it confirms excessive internal leakage and the tractor needs to be split for repair. Let me know