Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have a 1994 4wd Ford 1715. I block the clutch pedal when

Customer Question

I have a 1994 4wd Ford 1715. I block the clutch pedal when not in use, and the tractor is stored under cover. The tractor has worked fine for several years. Last week I started using the tractor (no problems), then the clutch would not disengage. The problem happened after I was using forward drive-train to fill the bucket from a crushed stone pile. Should I try the clutch pedal depressed / hard braking technique mentioned in a previous thread?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I think the information I provided should be sufficient, but I can answer any questions/
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Does the clutch feel ok? Seems like it would not seize to the flywheel when in use. If pedal feels different, the clutch may have lost the facing and locked the clutch from disengaging. You can try the braking technique, but if it does not work. I figure the clutch has failed!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The clutch pedal feels normal. The visible clutch linkage appears to be working. If I recall the sequence of events correctly, I was "pushing" the bucket into a large crushed stone pile in 1st gear (mid-range). When I depressed the clutch pedal to stop the forward motion the tractor kept moving forward. Could the force of "pushing" into the stone pile have created the problem?
When I try the braking technique, is it important to brake one wheel & then the other? Should the tractor be in 2wd when I attempt the braking technique?
Brake technique needs to be with transmission in a mid range gear, not low, and two WD. And jerking with one brake then the other , for best chance! and clutch pedal tied or blocked down, to get all the pressure off the pressure plate.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Did you find the problem? Please rate to close. Thank you!