Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.

I have a kubota bx 2200. All works fine apart from rear pto.

Customer Question

I have a kubota bx 2200. All works fine apart from rear pto. When using this power is high most of time but on a regular basis power seems to momentarily drop and then rise again. Even happens when machine not under load. Pushing pto selector lever forward seems to help. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Manufactured date 2005
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
The lever is moving a sleeve that has an internal passage that sends the clutch pressure to the pto clutch, The lever should have a detent that keeps it in the engaged position. Does the lever lock into place? Is the lever loose on the shaft going into the transmission?
Did you see my response? Does the detent hold the lever?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear Curtis
I am sorry not to have replied to you sooner but I have been inundated with other stuff. Unfortunately the detent does not hold the lever in place. I am attaching some photos of the lever arrangement. The lever on the left shown in the first photo is the one which selects power on or off to the PTO. That has an indentation but the photo shows the power engaged and the lever is not locked in any way but when you engage it gives a solid feeling as it goes into place.The second photo shows the lever which selects where the power is to go, to rear pto, or mid pto or both. That photo shows it in the engaged to rear pto position. That lever does not have any detent as can be seen from the third photo. This second lever does not feel as solid when you engage it, although it does not seem to noticeably spring back from its engaged position when in use. The last photo shows the situation when the lever is not engaged to rear or mid pto.The fault itself is intermittent. When it becomes bad the power to the rear pto seems to be surging on a regular basis, sometimes as often as every 10 seconds. The pto never stops turning all that happens is that you can hear the power to the implement slows and then about a second or two later the full power to the implement comes back on. At present I am using the tractor with a del Morino flail mower with a power requirement of only about 12hp so the tractor is not being over stretched. The fault seems not to be dependent upon the amount of load on the rear pto at all. Sometimes it occurs when the implement is raised and not under any load yet when the implement is working hard often the fault is none existent.Lastly if you completely disengage the pto and then re-engage it this sometimes cures it for a few minutes.
Lever with the detents, the spring and ball can be removed and checked .
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Did you check the detent?