Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

How do you change left rear axle on John Deere 5045e tract

Customer Question

How do you change left rear axle on John Deere 5045e tractor?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. what is your serial number?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
teir 2 or teir 4 tractor?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
You need to drain the differential oil and support the LH side off the ground, remove tire/wheel assembly and the axle housing/brake assembly needs to be unblolted from the differential case while it is supported by a suitable lifting device. the assembly is then removed for further disassembly and repair. Click below for breakdowns.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Axle assembly. Let me know if you need more help
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dan:Thanks. I raised the tractor and the tire is locked on the left side & cannot be turned by hand power. The right tire freely moves by hand power. The left tire moves under power. The brake pedal for the left tire is stiff. Now I think that the axle may not be broken, but the brakes may now be dragging, so now advise me on the steps to get to the brakes.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
If the axle were broken it would still turn if the brakes were held and also likely be loose. The brakes are the same procedure at they are sandwiched between the axle housing and the differential housing on each side.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
These are your brakes. They are friction disks and steel disks with pistons sealed by the o rings you see in the picture.