Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

John Deere 7410 Powerquad MFWD. Transmission Pressure light

Customer Question

John Deere 7410 Powerquad MFWD. Transmission Pressure light comes on. Tractor stops when light comes on. MFWD was leaking internally, replaced seals. Light still comes on. Pump noisy when turning steering wheel, hydraulic lift slow and chatters, shifts delayed. Replaced filters and cleaned suction screen. Found remains of a sensor or valve in suction screen.
Transmission system pressure 200 psi cold, 100 hot. Lube pressure shows 5 psi WOT.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Besides the debris in the picture did you find any fine metal/debris in the screen/filter? the symptoms you are describing point to a weak pump. Also you could have debris lodged into your valves and other restrictions but the loss of pressure points to a tired pump
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Not sure how long these symptoms have been present as the longer the tractor is run with low pump pressure, the more damage is done and expensive the parts needed list gets. Let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No other debris found, oil was surprisingly clean but a little milky. Bought machine used last year and have no service records. Symptoms occur when working heavily (PTO on, using lift, and shuttling forward/reverse). Knew mfwd was stuck in on position last year, and just got replaced this year. I'm thinking running MFWD in off position with leaking mfwd seals in transfer box may have destroyed pump and that the debris i found is part of the air pump on the charge pump (JD P#: RE47291).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
#6 in the diagram
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the updated information. I believe you are right on the money with your findings. Also the symptoms point to a pump issue. You are looking at a pump replacement.