Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a 1994 John Deere 870 4wd and it stalls when putting

Customer Question

I have a 1994 John Deere 870 4wd and it stalls when putting in gear and trying turn on pto with nothing on pto and will start without clutch pressed
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
and do you have the seat switch diagram?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Hi Daniel my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check the PTO switch, clutch switch and seat switch and harness. The symptoms you are describing point to a faulty switch or harness. You can try bypassing with a jumper for test purposes or testing with an OHM meter for continuity. Let me know the results and if diagrams are needed I will have to look them up later tonight or tomorrow as I do not have access where I am at the moment. Check those items first and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have the seat switch out and there is no resistance at the switch pressed or released but I'm not 100% which terminals are the correct ones
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but on the harness on the switch there is a red/yellow, blue/black, white/black, and red/yellow
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry last one is red/white
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the update. I do not have the diagram for this model but I did find an aftermarket manual that covers the electrical and safety switches for under 25. Click here for the linkmanual
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Hi Daniel, Did you get this resolved?