Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a M4500dt and it's getting hot when i put it under load,

Customer Question

I have a M4500dt and it's getting hot when i put it under load, I have replaced the raidator cap,thermostat,fan belt and had the raidator re-built, iv'e also had the water pump looked at. It doesn't use any water. Any ideas?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
How quick does the overheat show? How are you gaging the overheat? Have you verified the gage? If you remove the radiator cap, does it show continuous bubbles in the coolant? It can have a bad head gasket or a cracked cylinder head that lets combustion gases enter the cooling system.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It creeps up slowly depending on how hard i'm working it (mainly Slashing grass) Usally about 20 to 40mins if i keep going it will blow off through the radiator cap. There are no bubbles in coolant and if i dont let it get to the point of blowing through the cap it doesn't use any water. Its a solid fan that looks in ok condition and like i said i've just replaced the belt.
Good air flow through radiator? Suction or blower fan? Could fan be backward? Does the fan shroud fit the fan, directing the air flow through the radiator?
How was water pump checked, and when did it start running hot? With a slow increase , seems the radiator is not dissipating the heat. Have you used a heat gun thermometer to see what temperatures are at top of radiator and at bottom?
Did you find problem?