Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Certified.
30708357

My name is***** have a cat c 13 which is using a lot of

Customer Question

hi my name is***** have a cat c 13 which is using a lot of oil and its smoking true engine breather a lot!Recently the engine was overhauled new pistons ,sleeves,rings.It use to use oil before that to!What could be the problem
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ivan. Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Many times the problem is wear in the cylinders. But since they have been replaced. And the engine is smoking from the engine breather. There are two other things I would suspect.
The first is a worn air compressor. They have cylinders too and when they wear, it will cause smoke and oil to come from the breather.
Second is a faulty high pressure turbo. They can fail and allow exhaust to go down the oil drain back tube and elevate crankcase pressure and push smoke and oil from the breather.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do i check that?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately checking these items is not easy. I am sorry.
To test you would need to have the truck ran on a chassis dyno and the air compressor removed and the lines capped off. The run the truck. If the blowby stops. You'll know it's the compressor. For the turbo. You would need to remove the oil drain back line and run it into a bucket. If the blowby from the vent tube goes away. You'll know it's the turbo.It may be easier just to replace them one at a time. I am sorry. I wish it was easy to test.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what if we change turbo and compressor and it does the same what it could be?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.
Then I must suspect a problem in the cylinders. Could be worn valve guides or something wrong with the new liners, rings, and Pistons that were installed. I have seen defects before in cylinder parts.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 9 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.