Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a John Deere 2955 and the power shift doesn't seem to

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 2955 and the power shift doesn't seem to work. Just bought at a sale a few weeks ago. Any thoughts. Also it will jump out of 2nd gear in both ranges.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hi Perry, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can post back and forth as needed. My first recommendation since you just bought this is to drain the oil and check for metal/debris indicating an internal failure or problem. If found it will have to be torn down for inspection of failed and unserviceable parts for rebuild/repair. Any more details you can also provide of the symptoms will be helpful if we need to dig into this deeper. Let me know
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Be sure to check the filter/screen for metal/debris as well
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have drained the oil and changed filter. No metal debris seen.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
What did the old oil look like? Please explain the symptoms better of what it is doing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Old oil didn't look bad. The power shift doesn't seem to work at all.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
thanks for the update. Check the clutch for slipping and if ok the problem is likely internal with the powershift and the tractor will need to be split for repair. Have the pressures checked. Id offer the specs but I do not have this models Manual. There are some online for reasonable prices.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
the is an aftermarket but not sure how detailed it is as the Deer manual is over 600 pages and this one is only 152Manual